faxmail - how do I get images working?

Gudday, people.

We've set up Hylafax v4.0p12 on a Sun box running SunOS 5.6 and have
got it working fine & dandy along with the faxmail gateway for basic text
email, but I'm having trouble getting it to work with images.

I've set up netpbm & the jpeg distribution to convert gifs & jpegs into
postscript, and have made /usr/local/sbin/faxmail/image/jpeg and
.../gif to convert jpeg/gif respectively into postscript, but when I run
faxmail I get something along the lines of:
	Error converting image/jpeg; command was
"/usr/local/sbin/faxmail/image/jpeg
		/tmp//faxmail0HxsKo"; exit status ff00

Trouble is, I'm not even sure what format the temporary file is, so I'm not
sure what I'm doing wrong.  I changed the script so it would copy the
temporary
file into a place so I could look at it but nothing got copied - as if the
problem was that
the temporary file didn't exist.  However, from looking at the code an error
message
about the temp file not being created should have been printed out if this
was the case.

Could anyone tell me if they've overcome similar problems, and what the
format of
this apparently invisible temporary file is?  I'm beginning to think that I
may need to
decode the mime from the temp file (although code in faxmail seems to show
this is
being done already), is this the case?  If so, what package should I use to
do this (&
from where) ?

Thanks in advance.

Peter K. Campbell