Re: SysV configuration patch

Hi Nico,

The patch you posted has an implicit dependence on a patch i wrote for
inclusion with the RedHat binary distribution. ie it is a patch on a patch
on top of 4.0pl2

Attached is the original patch and a brief description below on how it works.

It is currently only suitable for RedHat systems.  At this stage unless you
are really confident do not include on other systems.

Rather than a new parameter SYSVINIT_DIR or whatever, i was going to
replace SYSVINIT to represent the location of the file or "" if the system
used a BSD startup.  There would also be an additional prompt during
configure prompting the correct location for the sysv init script.  The
sysv init script would then be installed at the make install stage with all
the other applications, unless obviously it was a BSD machine.

I was still going to make the user manually install the symlinks from the
run-level directorys, as it is very system dependent.

I have *not* done this yet.  That is why until now i had not generally
released this.

- Robert