partial solut. for HP-UX & USR Sport cannot send fax

OK, Over the weekend I tried setting HylaFAX up on one of my home Linux
systems and experienced the same sort of Unspecified Transmit Phase B error
with the same USR Sportster type of modem.

Finally I set the modem up as Class 1 instead of the Class 2.0 it claimed
it could also support. That made a big improvement. At that point it was
successfully dialing and connecting with the remote fax machine but the
pages it sent through were squished. In looking through the docs and
archives I seem where someone suggested turning down the ModemRate from
38400 to 19200 on Sportster modems. Once I did that the pages transmitted
were near perfect. The only problem was that even though the cover page
was sent & received fine, there was some sort of glitch when the next
page was sent. It would continue resending the next page a number of
times (I never let it go more than 9 or 10 resends before removing the
job). What was strange was that each time it would resend it the page
would be squished more and more. The first time it sent the page it
appeared full size but midway down there was a break/glitch in the image
(I was testing with the golfer.ps example that comes with the ghostscript
stuff).

Sunday evening I came in to work late and tried the same Class 1 & 19200
setup with the Sportster on the HP-UX system and was able to send one
fax through just fine to a fax machine here on site. Then I sent a
second copy after the first completely cleared the queue but the modem
appeared to be hung and would not reset. Even turning it off & on or
stopping & restarting the HylaFAX stuff had no effect on it.

The end result of this is to persuade me to move to the suggested
MultiTech MT1432BA modems for additional testing with the HP-UX
systems at work. So far those seem to work fine right out of the
box so to speak.

If anyone has any ideas why the re-transmit problem seems to occur and
the pages gets squished more and more each time it is re-transmitted
I would appreciate know about that.
--
Steve DuChene              sad@hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		  X/CDE/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.