Re: Working version of Hylafax ???

I have hylafax v4.0pl2 running under linux 2.0.27 on an Pentium.  I am
using a MultiTech MT1932ZDX modem.  The hylafax server runs on a
networked host and most of the jobs are forwarded to it from other
hosts.

I also use the paging capabilities both interactively as well as from
scripts running under BigBrother, my network monitoring software.

I run the sendmail fax gateway with it as well.

I have the inbound faxes routed to a Win 95 Outlook client.  They arrive
and are viewable in the client.  I would love to have DID working.

The program works remarkably well.  Principal issues relate to a low
percentage of errors in communicating to the large variety of equipment
out there.

Key issues are having the right libraries and compiler, a working version
of ghostscript, a compatible modem, and patience.  I installed it and
eventually got the faxgetty working properly.  After that I essentially
got the fax to go one step at a time.  At each step I investigated the
errors and worked on that specifc issue.  All of the tools have some great
debugging info and most can be initiated interactively.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions but sending my source or
config files may not be a lot of help.  If you are attacking a specific
problem and can not find help in the archives, please post.  It can be a
real job to get it working -- I know it well.

I also use the WHFC client from Windows clients and am pleased with it.

Andy McNiece, Parr Lumber Co.                              andym@parr.com
5630 Five Oaks Drive                                       Phone 503-614-2525
Hillsboro, Oregon USA 97124             	           Fax   503-629-8635