embarrassingly elementary question

greetings!

i realize that this question is orders of magnitude below the usual
level of discussion here; still, i can think of no other place to ask.

the situation: standalone machine running stock redhat 5.1; single
phone line for voice/fax/data; courier v.everything. moved this summer
from OS/2 to linux. business needs frequently -- several times a week
-- to send faxes; somewhat less frequently to receive faxes. i'm
accustomed to faxworks in OS/2, wherein it was trivial to tell the
software to take in the next call as a fax.

early on, i ftped hylafax and made what was probably a ham-handed
attempt to install it. i never got it to send or receive faxes, but i
did get it to take possession of my modem. and it certainly seemed more
an enterprise-type application that would be at its best on a machine
set up as a dedicated fax server. to top it all off, i'm anything but
an IS type -- i've always gotten applications, set up applications,
used applications, with 90 percent of the process falling into the last
category.

so, then, finally, my question: is hylafax too much for such an
arrangement and, if not, is there a relatively easy way to set it up, i
hope with existing binaries, for an arrangement like mine?

the alternatives seem pretty limited. and hylafax seems tremendously
powerful, if i can detune it to do what i need. finally, i apologize
for my lack of technical knowledge in the fax field; i suppose it would
be best to assume that i know little or nothing.

and with all of that, thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone here
can offer.

--

 "Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state.  They forget that
 the state lives at the expense of everyone." -- Frederic Bastiat, 1848