Receiving faxes: a question for developers

Hi guys,

This is a question for developers who are fairly familiar with HylaFAX
source code and T.30.

My goal is as follows: I have a class 2.0 USR modem with which I want to
receive faxes reliably. I can't use any faxmodem libraries because of
the very specific nature of the code I'm working with. So, I want to be
able to get G3 data from the modem with the minimum amount of code.

The question would be: how big of an effort would it be to strip and
port some of the HylaFAX code for that specific purpose? Or would it be
easier to write everything from scratch? I can only use plain old C, not
C++. I would appreciate if you could give me your estimate of how much
time this might take. Also, do you think I should get myself fully
acquainted with T.30 just for this task?

Please be aware that this is the first day of my exposure to all this
faxmodem stuff, so don't overwhelm me with technical terms :-)

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vassili Sukharev