Class1 No Answer connect timeout too short

Hi!  I want to use hylafax, it came with our BSDI 3.1 OS, however, the
modem that we have is a Class1 and hylafax seems to only wait 10 seconds to
connect to the remote fax (on a transmit).  I have added
Class1RecvIdentTimer:   20000 to etc/config.tty01 in hopes that this will
cause hfaxd to wait 20 seconds instead of giving up in 10.  It doesn't
happen.  I know this is pretty elementary, after all, there should be a
description somewhere of all the parameters and how to change them and set
them up, but I haven't found it.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Also, I don't know how to get the version of the software.  No version
command?  Not in any log anywhere??