Re: How to set HylaFax to act as a network printer?

In article <9806011734.AA21406@aoi.ultranet.com> you write:
>> Constantin Teodorescu <teo@flex.ro> :
>> I would like to configure HylaFax also as a fax-server for the entire
>> network, but using printer spooling mechanism, allowing client to print
>> to a shared 'fax' printer when they want to fax it, or normally printing
>> to a shared 'laser' network printer, from both Linux and W95
>> workstations. For example I am using Applixware on Linux and MS Office
>> on W95.
>
>This would be a great idea if someone would do it.  For personal systems (as opposed to servers), the right answer to sending a fax is for applications to
>print to a fax printer (just as WHFC has been implemented for Win95).  The problem in Unix, of course, is how to get the phone number (or other information needed for the cover page).

I've done this using respond and fprintfax using lpr.

Respond is a program which sits on a pc listening on port 5555.

A postscript printer is set up on the pc, printing to an lpr port.
Fprintfax is the spool program on the unix server.  This telnets to the pc
at port 5555, at which point respond pops up a dialog box asking for
fax number and other info.  (I've configured it to ask for fax number,
company and comments).  This data is sent back to fprintfax, which passes
it as arguments to sendfax.

As far as the user is concerned: they print to a printer called "HylaFAX",
and shortly afterwards they are asked for fax number.

This obviously won't work for unix systems, but something like tkhylafax
should do the trick.

I don't remember where I got respond and fprintfax from, but I remember
the supplied instructions are for samba.  However it's very easy to install
in an lpd based system.

-- Neil