USR Sportster Message Plus

Has anyone configured the USR Sportster Message Plus
Modem as Class 1 or Class 2.0 Modem?

Modem:                     USR Sportster Message Plus
Hylafax Version:      4.0pl2
Platform:                    Linux, Kernel 2.0.33,

I need some help for configuring hylafax and for writing
communication software to use the ability of the modem
to receive faxes even when the computer ist off.

Which subroutines can I use for sending AT-issues to the
modem and for receiving stored faxes?

Thanks

Juergen