Re: HylaFAX and RPM's

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Mr. Arlington Hewes wrote:

>   MA> The correct way is to create a right ./config.site file and run a clean
>   MA> ./configure for the target system and ...
>
> I'm not so sure . . . I don't think I can fault the following though:
>
> ./configure \
> --with-DIR_BIN=/usr/bin \
> --with-DIR_SBIN=/usr/sbin \
> --with-DIR_LIBEXEC=/usr/sbin \

[ etc., etc. ]

Oh, man. *I* can fault it. That long set of parameters should live in
a text-based config.site file, maybe one symbolically linked to
"config.linux" or something.

>   MA> ... this should also fix all problems in etc/hylafax script (because it
>   MA> is created by the configure from etc/hylafax.in). If not one should send
>   MA> mods for a better etc/hylafax.in (e.g. with hooks for platform dependent
>   MA> scripts).
>
> I will do so if warranted. As you say, the existing script should be fine, at
> least it always has been for me.

If you can fix it, I would be pleased. The location of the script is
incorrect for Linux (it should go in /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax), and
the use of port numbers versus port names is a bit inconsistent and
will confuse any sites that use alternative port numbers in their
/etc/services file to duck firewalls.

> There are actually very few glaring problems in the RPM at the moment. I'm adding the housekeeping, and removing a few of the more adventurous and controversial departures from HylaFAX convention, though I am leaving the xferfaxstats stuff in (and have
fixed faxcron).

Thank you, kind sir, for your efforts. You might also add others of
the patches I've put at
http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax/patches/. The HTML patches, in
particular, will straighten out most of the manpage references for
local documentation. And the "hosts" patch will help keep the man
pages straightened out for new users ($SPOOL/etc/hosts for HylaFAX
vs. /etc/hosts)

			Nico Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary