Re: faxgetty conspiracy?

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Vijay Rao wrote:

> I've downloaded the HylaFAX sources and compiled the lot on a linux box.
>
> To my surprise, no faxgetty was compiled. Sources seem to be
> non-existent in the distribution(s) I downloaded.

What? Check the error messages. You may require patches, such as
those collected at http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax/patches,
and there are some installation notes one directory up for SunOS
and Linux.

> I've downloaded all the 4.0 distributions, pl0, pl1 and pl2. All
> distributions don't have faxgetty included. I also downloaded the redhat
> .rpm binary distribution of HylaFAX. This didn't have faxgetty included
> either.

No way. Something else is going on, I don't know what. It certainly
had them the last time I looked. I don't like the RPM's for Linux,
I've found them to be problematic about ghostscript dependencies and
confused about where the startup scripts live.

Hopefully this is fixed, but I haven't checked lately.

> While browsing the documentation at www.vix.com I tried to access the
> faxgetty manual page at 'http://www.vix.com/cgi-bin/manpage?1+faxgetty'.
> The page is empty and doesn't return any contents. I tried downloading
> the page with Netscape, MSIE and Lynx. All browsers return an empty
> page.

Take out the "?1" comment. The manpages live at different locations
under different operating systems, and unfortunately the HTML does not
get automatically updated.

> The reason I've been (re)installing HylaFAX is because for some or other
> strange reason faxgetty was removed from my (linux) system at home. It
> seems to have been deleted at a time I wasn't working on the computer
> (2:41 a.m., may 6 1998). At least, that's the last time the directory
> contents were modified. Since then faxgetty has gone missing.

What the?

> So,
>
> * faxgetty disappears from system
> * current sources don't seem to include faxgetty
> * manual page of faxgetty at www.vix.com doesn't contain any data
>
> Is this a conspiracy or what? Somebody (or something) is out to destroy
> faxgetty.

Are you the only user? Have you suffered a recent crack-in (say with the
recently published named attack)

			Nico Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary