Re: faxgetty conspiracy?

At 02:03 22/05/98 +0200, Vijay Rao <vijay@online.nl> wrote:
>I've downloaded the HylaFAX sources and compiled the lot on a linux box.
>
>To my surprise, no faxgetty was compiled. Sources seem to be
>non-existent in the distribution(s) I downloaded.
>
>I've downloaded all the 4.0 distributions, pl0, pl1 and pl2. All
>distributions don't have faxgetty included. I also downloaded the redhat
>.rpm binary distribution of HylaFAX. This didn't have faxgetty included
>either.
>[ker-snip!]

Hi, VJ!

You have cheered me up no end this afternoon :)

You don't say, but I am assuming you have a RedHat Linux 5.0 system?
(Looking forward to 5.1 Manhattan...) The current sources (v4.0pl2)
fail to compile faxgetty without some necessary patches. I really
recommend Nico Garcia's excellent notes for Linux systems at :

	http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax/

I think every Linux user of HylaFAX should read these notes whether
they are using the binary or source distributions. The patches you
will need to compile v4.0pl2 from source are also on Nico's site.

Secondly, you can query rpm to tell you what is in a rpm package and
where it has put everything. First, let's find the actual version you
have installed :

	# rpm -q hylafax
	hylafax-4.0.8

Then we can see its contents with the command :

	# rpm -ql hylafax-4.0.8 | more

Hopefully you will find faxgetty somewhere in the output and its
installed location ( a wild guess - something like /usr/libexec ??).

Lastly, a plug for my own site for HylaFAX resources at :

	http://elgro.demon.co.uk/resources.html

where you will find html versions of all the man pages if you're
really stuck finding them on your own system.

Have fun!
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.