Re: Missing ':' separator ...

[snip]

> >    May  6 15:06:00 gateway FaxGetty[198]: ANSWER: Can not lock modem device
> >
> > Nevertheless the faxes are send correctly. Is this an error I need to
> > worry about or can I safely ignore this message? What do I have to do to
> > get rid of this message?

This message is normal.

FaxGetty sits waiting for a character to come in from the modem.  When a
char comes in, it has to determin if it is a "RING", or if it is a
program that is dialing out.  The way it does this is by checking for a lock
lock file.  If there is a lock file, then it goes to sleep, ignoring anything
further until there is no lock file on the port.

So, say you "CU" out on a port FaxGetty is running on.  The modem responds
OK, faxgetty sees the data ( via select, not by reading the char ), checks
for a lock file ( which CU has placed ), and Faxgetty goes to sleep.

100 % normal.  No problem at all.

But yes, make sure that all apps are using the same lock file. as you can
see, it is critical to the operation.

--
	Steve Williams, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
	Genie Computer Systems Inc.

"A man doesn't begin to attain wisdom until he recognizes that he is
 no longer indespensable."
- Admiral Richard E. Byrd ( 1888-1957 )