Re: Re: (Fwd) Fw: Problems with outgoing faxes from a ZyXEL Omni

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Shuvam Misra wrote:

> I've gone through your mail, and I can see your strong reservations
> about Hylafax. I make no claim that Hylafax is the world's best fax
[snip]
> 2.	It is written by Sam Leffler.
[snip]

Not to mention that we all can get sources and can implement necessary
changes and then contribute them to other users.

> | Not so good. As a rule of thumb: appr. 40 % of outgoing faxes from a
> | (public faxserver) will fail...

Well with Multitech modem this reduced for me to about 5-10% of failing
faxes.

> | >   4 Error: Failure to train at 2400 bps or +FMINSP value
> | A sign for bad telco line ...
>
> Very possible that my line is noisy. This is usual in India, and
> specially in my exchange.

I have to diagree here. It may well be due to ban noise but I'm getting
constant error of this in a very controled environement also. It looks
like some problem with Class1 handling (either in HylaFax or in modem).
I'm getting those (if one need a log I can supply but it goes from 14400
negotiation to 2400 and then failing over).

This hapens to me between USR 14.400 Class1 modem and Multitech on public
phone line and also beetwen the same USR and Zyxel on private exchange.

Both ends always use HylaFax, so I can provide logs for both end of the
connection.

> | >  29 Error: No response to MPS repeated 3 times
> |
> | This is 'system immanent' to all faxmodems, I believe :-) We have to
> | live whit this, regardles which brand of faxmodem, there ALWAYS exist
> | (remote) certain fax equipment, which will not fit our site ...

As mentioned, with different fax/modems there are more or less
possibilites to get those errors. So far MT2384ZPKI is working the best of
all for me, but YMMV al always.

	lp
		gody