"Could not reopen converted document to verify format" error

I am getting a "Could not reopen converted document to verify format"
while attempting to fax an EPS file.

The EPS file is a special coversheet I am creating for a user.  I
have designed it using Xfig on a Red Hat 5.0 machine which has
Ghostscript 3.33 installed out of the box.  At this point the
coversheet is just boilerplate text and some rectangles, no tags for
fields and no imbedded logos.  I saved it out to EPS and ftp'ed to my
fax server.

The fax server is a Slackware machine with kernel 2.0.0.  It has
Hylafax 4.0pl2 and GS 5.10 installed. I am using sendfax to fax the
EPS file to test the conversion and get the error message.

If I manually convert it with GS, I get no error message whatever,
and no output file.

Any clues?  The threads on this topic in the list archive are not
very helpful.

TIA

Rob Embry
EMC Test Systems