faxgetty conflicts with ppp and minicon

Mattew Rice suggested I mail my trouble to the mailing list.  I have
read the archive concerning the previous reports and tried to
implement the fixes.  Nothing seems to work.   Minicom and faxgetty
both are set to use /var/lock as their lock directories.  Even when
minicom creates both lock files faxgetty continues to get after the
/dev/ttyE0 and /dev/modem.  Neither program reports the device
locked.  The Stallion EasyIO-8 board has generally functioned well in
both SCO 3.2v4.1 and Linux 2.0.29 with minicom or ppp-on in the
latter and ecu and uucp in the former.

The box is a 486DX-50 with Ultrastor 34F, Cirrus Logic video, and the
Stallion EasyIO-8.  No IDE or soundcard devices.  If I kill faxgetty
and comment out the inittab entry for the faxgetty, the other
programs work.
Thanks, Bruce Johnson
jlb@ordata.com