Hylafax 4.0pl1 doesn't recognize distinctive ring for fax/voice

I'm running Linux 2.1.66 on a 486 box, and have not been able to get
Hylafax to recognise the "RING 1" return code from my ZyXEL 1496S+ (same
as E+) modem.

I'd like it to recognize "RING" for voice messages, and "RING 1" for
incoming faxes.

Also, I'd sure like to be able to enable it to work in voice mode.

Has anyone had success in doing this, and if so how was it implemented??

Thanks in advance for your responses.

--
  Steve Pershing