Re: Need help on Linux

Martin Tanzer wrote:

    Hi, I am trying to set up Hylafax  4.0p11 on two Linux boxes  (as root)
    with the same result: access denied. I searched in the list and did
    everything I found posted:

    The fax and the uucp have the same UID,  the same group (uucp), even the
    same password. The /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts belongs to uucp and has the
    correct mode (600). When I start hfaxd I get the message in the message
    file : HylaFAX INET: bind (port 4559): Address already in use, unable to
    init server.

Check with netstat(1) if there is a LISTEN for this port
and if so try to find out which daemon (inetd(1M)?) is
listening on port 4559. If you have a line for this service
in your file inetd.conf(4F) check the parameters against
the man page of hfaxd(1M). If you use startup from inetd.conf(4F)
you must use the flag "-I" and not "-i hylafax".

    When I kill faxd and faxq I still have no access to the ports with
    faxstat -v or telnet localhost 4559.

There is no faxd(1M) in HylaFAX v4.0pl1 (and if you have faxd you
have a mix of versions on your system) and faxq(1M) has nothing
to do with the port 4559.

    I've seen that Linix and Hylafax is a bit tricky - I hope you can help.
    I spent lots of hours with this stuff.

No. Not Linux && HylaFAX are tricky. I get more and more the feeling
(esp. since I've had a look onto the Linux of my son) that Linux
comes with some (faulty) HylaFAX or FlexFAX or mgetty+sendfax
installations or preparations and also some bugs/problems in the
binary packages provided by the CD-ROM supplier. Just remove
everything from your system which smells like "fax" (also from
the sysem files like passwd(4F) and inetd.conf(4F), pull the
source (v4.0pl1), configure, make and install from scratch
(and run faxsetup(1M) :-)).

	matthias