Re: Viewing received faxes via http browser

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Mario Misic wrote:

> At 12:49 1997.10.22 +0200, Uri Shkolnik wrote:
> >I'm running Hylafax 4p1 on SunOS4.1.4, I want to enabled users to view
> >faxes with Netscape/Internet Explorer etc. via my Intranet web site.
> >
> >Does anybody have a working system like this?
> >Thanks,
> >Uri
> >
> >uri@harmonic.co.il
> >

> Hi!
>
> In config file /var/spool/fax/etc/config.tty* you have a variable
> RecvFileMode change it to look like this:
>
> RecvFileMode:		0644
> .

This is not sufficient. On further thought, I remember a couple of other
things I did to get it to work.

First, the ".tif" extension on received extensions is extremely confusing.
It is worth modifying the faxrcvd to use the extension ".fax" instead.

Second, users must have a tool capable of viewing either delivered
Postscript files or the raw tiffg3 files. I recommend "faxview" at
ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/fax/contrib/ for UNIX based X servers.

Third, they have to teach their viewer to use the correct tool to view
".fax" files.

The "faxstat.pl" CGI script I just published was *not* written by me:
the author, Phil Abercrombie, is phil@mcs.vuw.ac.nz and deserves credit.

An alternative approach would be to translate the tiffg3 files into a
set of plain tiff files, one per page, and let people view *those*. This
is left as an exercise for the CGI programmer....

			Nico Garcia
			Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
			raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu