Re: Hylafax rpm issues

David Woolley writes:

 > On the other hand, a lot of Linux users are from a plug and play mentality,
 > and Red Hat are exploiting this, by making it easier and easier to install
 > Linux without having enough knowledge to maintain it.  As a result, Red Hat,
 > etc. get the benefits, but people on the traditional support groups start

You are essentially saying that let us keep installation of hylafax
( or all freeware) purposely difficult, so that it doesn't
attract every Tom, Dick, and Harry, who will bug the original
authors with stupid questions.

I don't see why the original author always has to answer the
question. They can simply answer the more interesting questions
leaving all the basic questions to  other users. Then there are
frequently asked questions. After all, I don't see Linus Torvalds
answering every question on Linux on the usenet groups.
I don't see freeware users expecting lot of handholding
from the original authors. A lot of support comes
from fellow users.

To take the particular case of hylafax itself, 'faxsetup'
the way it is because authors perceive it as easy enough,
and because they think it is the right thing to do.
I don't think it is designed to weed out dumb users.

Ramana