Re: Announcement: RPMs for hylafax and libgr

Ramana Juvvadi wrote:

    David Woolley writes:
     > > The name 'xferstat' is sufficiently vague that it can -- and has --
     > > been duplicated by other software. This issue didn't even arise until
     > > someone ran into problems because of the redundant filenames.
     >
     > Can someone explain why a conflict arises.  In the beta of Hylafax 4
     > that I have, all the logs are written into the /usr/spool/fax tree, so
     > cannot conflict with /var/adm etc.

    There is an xferstats in /usr/sbin from wu-ftpd. The xferlog clash
    is with the man page. It was probably not noticed before because nobody
    tried to install it in /usr.

    However, the names are clobbered on even on /usr/local. Which
    xferstats is called depends on whether you have /usr/local/sbin
    first in your path or /usr/sbin. The same goes for xferlog man page.

xferstats(1M) is used in faxcron(1M) and perhaps mostly in scripts
like crontab(4F) or other maintainance stuff; in scripts you may
(in crontab you must) use full pathnames to start this tool
or to use the xferlog(4F) file itself; as I said I can't see much
bennefit renaming these things; on the other side renaming will
affect all existing scripts/crontabs and running installations of
HylaFAX;

	matthias