Re: New RPMs for hylafax-4.0 and libgr-2.0.14

At 09:26 AM 10/20/97 +0100, you wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Ramana Juvvadi wrote :
>>Welcome to the new rpm of hylafax. One of the motivations for building
>>this was to learn the capbilities of rpm.  Hylafax is a great package,
>>but it doesn't work out of the box. It requires an elaborate setup. My
>>aim in building this package is to reduce some of this complexity for
>>Redhat Linux. I admit that this release falls short of that goal.
>>However, I hope the situation improves in future releases.
>
>[snip]
>
>Good news. The HylaFAx rpm package for Linux boxes will be very
>popular, and perhaps the most popular of the binary distributions.
>In this sense, it will be HylaFAX's 'flagship' product, and so has
>to be right.
>
>With this in mind, could I give some feedback?
>
>>   4.	It uses /usr instead of /usr/local in the tradition of rpm
>
>Fine, okay with me.

I'm for /usr/local (anything I add goes in contrib or local - just a patter
of personal prefference I guess)

>>   5.	It uses the directories /var/spool/hyla, /usr/lib/hyla instead of
>>	/var/spool/fax, /usr/lib/fax. The reason is that there are two
>>	other fax pages for linux, efax and mgetty+sendfax. I feel it
>>	is better to have a unique name like
>>	hyla than a generic one like fax causing mixup
>
>Not happy about this, though. I agree with Michael Irons that the potential
>mixup from multiple fax programs is outweighed by the confusion amongst
>users over the location of the spooling area and config files. Let's stick
>with /var/spool/fax and /usr/lib/fax.

Agree with this partialy.  /var/spool/fax, but I'm /usr/local/lib/fax

>>   6.	The documentation directory is set to /usr/doc instead of /var/httpd
>
>Not a problem.

Is there any way to get the rpm installer to ask, because every linux
distribution puts web root in different area (And I assume that we want it
in the web root?)

>>   7.	There is an executable called xferstats in hylafax clashing with
>>	an xferstats from wu-ftpd. Hence its name is
>>	changed to xferstat
>
>Hmmm. Can understand, and sympathise with the logic; but I feel this is
>one for Matthias Apitz, the offical maintainer, to decide. How about
>'sendstats' as an alternative name? - comparable with sendq and recvq, etc.

Hmm..   The problem with a clash only comes when you try ot oinstall to
/usr.  wu-ftpd is on most systems, therefore xferstats is in /usr/sbin.  If
hylafax goes in /usr/local, no clash ;-)  Maybe a name change is needed
though, if we want to encourage HylaFAX to be standard with most
distributions (SuSE linux does install it, any other's?)

>Thanks for the work, and I know how long these projects can take, so your
>efforts *are* appreciated,

Mucho appreciated...
Aidan
Aidan Van Dyk                        aidan@magma.ca
Magma Communications Ltd.            Internet Solutions
Unit 210, 52 Antares Drive              for the Ottawa Area
Nepean, ON, K2E 7Z1  CANADA          http://www.magma.ca/