Re: HylaFax: PostScript recognized as text - why?

in <5ttkcf$h4$1@troja.ilias.net> Mr. Arlington Hewes
<tpcadmin@info.tpc.int> schrieb:

> HylaFAX uses a magic number typing scheme and types files quite
> intelligently according to the definitions setup in typerules (5f).
> If postscript files are being incorrectly typed as ascii text, you may
> indeed have a problem.  Try having a look at the process by invoking
> sendfax with the '-v' flag:

Thanks for your hints. Meanwhile, I found my fault. I set up my
typerules file according to the corresponding man page. This man page
states, that the typerules file consists of records, describing the
file type by a magic number system. These records consist of various
fields, separated by whitespace characters.

This is definitely wrong. Instead, the only character, that should be
used to separate the fields of the typerules file is the <TAB>
character.

If you have a look at '.../hylafax-v4.0pl1/util/typetest.c++', you
will recognize, that for a match-type of 'string' the
<SPACE>-character (0x20) is a valid member of the match-value and so
cannot be used as a field-separating character.

The fields in my typerules file were separated by a mixture of TAB and
SPACE :-(

Perhaps, this should be clarified (the correct term? - my english is
rather awful tonight :-) in the man page.

	stefan

	Stefan Schober, Pforzheim/Germany
		reach me at stenny@troja.stuttgart.netsurf.de