Voice modems? Answering machine software?

I have been running HylaFAX for a couple of years now.  Once I got
lucky with the modem configuration, I pretty much left it alone - no
need to provoke the modems gods unnecessarily :-).

I've noticed recently the term Voice Modem.  Is this something new, or
is it just a different term for old non-fax modems?

I am especially curious because I would like to get some telephone
answering software for my computer (486/Pentium, Linux).  I am willing
to buy a new modem if necessary.  Has anyone got any recommendations
as to modem and software?

The FAQ says that vgetty doesn't do what I want.  The mail list
archives have nothing other than complaints about voice calls messing
up fax reception.

      Felix Finch, scarecrow repairer, rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
            PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F