Re: Hylafax and PPP?

At 10:11 31/07/97 -0500, Leslie Mikesell wrote:
>.....  Can't LCP be re-negotiated
>so the initial exchange could run as far as the password check, switch
>to the right uid, then force a renegotiation as it execs slirp?

This would be a large amount of progamming also in the chap protocol there
is the concept of periodic rechecking of the peers password(sent as a hash
across the line) while the connection is running
ie  need to re-program the getty to do lcp(quite hard ~10 weeks)
 & introduce into slirp an lcp layer (even harder ~ 6 months)
_OR_ setup pppd (about 1/2 hour)

>Also, doesn't CHAP require keeping a clear-text copy of the password
>in a file somewhere?  I'm not at all convinced that is a good idea.

No not quite - chap can use the system login databases(shadow,
nis,/etc/passwd whatever) or alternatively if you dont want to give your
ppp users login priveleges the passwords can be stored encrypted in a
special file read only by root