Re: Modems question

| I have to buy another modem/fax for HylaFAXing,
| now I'm using a ZyXEL 1496E PLUS w/o problems.

That's one of the best modems I've used till date for faxes and
specially Hylafax.

| For the same price (w/o a waiting of 90 days)
| I can buy a ZyXEL OMNI288S
| with a serial port for connecting a postscript printer
| for direct standalone printing of incoming faxes(!).

I'm not sure the direct printing option works with teh Omni288S. I think
that option is only for the 288P, which has a parallel port, to connect
a printer to.

| Is this modem/fax so reliable as 1496E PLUS?
| Does anyone tried the OMNI 288S?

Yes, I have. I've been using it at home and work, and have even given it
to clients to use with Hylafax. Make sure you get a very recent version
of Hylafax.

This modem is really good. Initially, it didn't have as good line
holding ability as the U1496E on noisy lines. Now, with firmware
upgrades, that seems to have improved. But for faxes, I think it's every
bit as good as the U1496E.

Tell me, why is there the 90-day waiting period for U1496E's? Is there a
very heavy demand for that model? Here in India, no one seems to be
going for the U1496E; most others, like us, have shifted to the Omni.

Regards,
Shuvam
-- shuvam misra -------------------------- shuvam@spacenetindia.com --
------------- "Linux: the choice of a GNU generation" ----------------