More questions on faxmail converter

Here is a log snippet from faxmail trying to convert a GIF file. My script
says

giftopnm | pnmtops

Having tried *many* permutations of the script (guesswork), I was
wondering if there might be someting wrong with faxmail itself. Questions:

1) What is in /tmp/faxmaila13588? Is it the GIF file (decoded) or is it
there to receive the PS output?

2) Why is there a double // after tmp?

Error converting image/gif; command was "/usr/local/sbin/faxmail/image/gif
/tmp//faxmaila13588"; exit status 100.

MIME part (line 23): text/plain charset=us-ascii encoding=7bit
HEADER Content-Type: IMAGE/GIF; NAME="reg.gif"
HEADER Content-Transfer-Encoding: BASE64
HEADER Content-ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970722105026.18433M@amahoro.dha.unon.org>
HEADER Content-Description:
MIME part (line 32): image/gif charset=us-ascii encoding=base64
CONVERT: run /usr/local/sbin/faxmail/image/gif
giftopnm: error reading magic number
pnmtops: EOF / read error reading magic number
Error converting image/gif; command was "/usr/local/sbin/faxmail/image/gif /tmp//faxmaila13588"; exit status 100.