Re: textfmt can't find font info

Ben Parker writes:

> > I've had a look in my ghostscript fonts directory, and all seems to
> > be OK. While there is no file "Courier.afm" file, there is a "Fontmap"
> > file which looks intended to convert between Postscript font names and
> > actual filenames.

> You can copy the files which correspond to Courier-Bold so copy xxxx.afm
> to Courier-Bold.afm and it works.

I took Nico's advice and downloaded the afm-tar.Z file from
ftp.sgi.com -- after a bit of fiddling with file locations, it
worked.

I haven't been able to find anything documenting this discrepancy between
GhostScript (which uses the 'Fontmap' file to map between fontnames
and filenames) and textfmt (which requires fontname.afm). Question 44
of the HylaFAQ has the right question but an incomplete answer.

--
 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software Ltd, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
Supporting PC-based Unix since 1985 / Caldera & SCO authorized / www.telly.org