Problems setting HylaFAX 4.0pl1 mail2fax gateway on FreeBSD 2.2.2

I'm not sure if this is a problem with Hylafax or FreeBSD, this is why I'm
posting to both lists.  (Very sorry about this)

My setup is a stock FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE system.  The version of sendmail
included in this distribution is 8.8.5.  I am using HylaFAX 4.0pl1.

I'm trying to set up the mail2fax gateway on HylaFAX.  I am using the
script as given in the HylaFAQ (Q6.1: "Where to find mailfax.sh for
sendmail?")  I have this script installed in /usr/local/lib/fax/mailfax,
as instructed, and have added the "MAILER(fax)" construct to my sendmail
.mc file.  I rebuilt my sendmail.cf, installed it, and restarted sendmail.

However, when I send a test fax of the form "[someone]@[phonenumber.fax" I
get the error "Cannot exec /usr/local/lib/fax/mailfax: Exec format error"
The script is indeed in that directory, and is executable, and has the
proper "#!/bin/sh" as the first line.  I tried chown'ing it to various
users and groups (root, daemon, wheel, etc.) and trying different
permissions on the file, in case it is some security thing, but nothing
works.

Here is an example mail session:

[dburr@voyager:117]% mail -v dburr@18004925954.fax
Subject: test
test
.
Cc:
dburr@18004925954.fax... Connecting to 18004925954 via fax...
Cannot exec /usr/local/lib/fax/mailfax: Exec format error
dburr@18004925954.fax... Service unavailable
/home/dburr/dead.letter... Saved message in /home/dburr/dead.letter

Can anyone shed some light on this?  Please e-mail if possible.  Thanks!

Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 564-1871    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.