Sportster: No response to MPS repeated 3 times

I'm consistently getting errors "No response to MPS repeated 3 times"
using USR Sportster modems and multiple destination fax machines.  I
don't get this error with USR Courier modems.  I've tried a variety of
config settings with no luck.  Should I give up on the sportsters, or
does someone have a reliable working config file for them?  I have
both relatively new and very old sportsters with the same problem.

Thank you,

Larry