modem problems

OK, disregard that other question, I was just wondering if there was an
inst particularly for Irix 6.2.

Here is a better question.

I had a Irix 5.3 machine with fax software installed by someone else and
working.  Now I need to install it on a different machine.  The only
differences between them is that the new machine is running 6.2 and has
not been set up with the modem.

For some reason, probe modem does not detect the MultiTech modem. That
worked on the other machine, although the TX reg and others twinkle
merrily.  cu -l ttyf2 says it cannot find a device.

I can cat >ttyf2 or cat >ttym2 just fine to pick up or hang up modem,
but haven't made it dial yet.

Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?
--
Liam Irish
System Engineer					Tampa, FL