Re: texfmt error

I have solved this, and posted a couple of patches on the list back in
February.

The patches are
~1.4 KB     Text, "/usr/src/hylafax-v4.0pl1/util/TextFmt.h.patch"
~2.1 KB     Text, "/usr/src/hylafax-v4.0pl1/util/TextFmt.c++.patch"

If You cannot get hold of the patches from this list, please write
	     To: HylaFax <hylafax@lege.com>
with	Subject: HylaFax-Patch

This will trigger an autoresponder I just set up, and mail back to you a
copy of the mail I sent to Sam back in February, with the patches.

Apply them, make clean and recompile.

The text of the message was...

Above patches solves ``textfmt'' bugs on any platform/any OS and if
applied by hand, applicable also to older versions of hylafax. Now no
more problems with international character sets and textfmt!

Hi Sam,

        have inserted ``(unsigned const char)'' in TextFmt.h and have
added a few lines to hylafax-v4.0pl1/util/TextFmt.c++ to make it function
better in an international environment and with bad data in the upper
character-codes of the metrics-files in the distribution.

Find commented patches attached. Feel free to remove the comments, they
are just there to tell you and others why I did what I did.

The above patches have been thoroughly tested by me. They work well. They
fix a programming error where values in an array are selected using
*negative* indices, causing random memory addresses to be refereced. This
is the cause of much pain in the international Hylafax community. Help is
on it's way! Especially, TextFmt.h.patch solves the worst problem, but
TextFmt.c++.patch may also be neccessary + that it solves minor errors in
the processing of font width data from font metrics files by ignoring data
in the files for character values above 127, because the supplied font
metrics files cannot reliably be used for values above 127 -- iso 8859-1,
instead it uses the same default Sam uses when no font metrics files are
found, but only for values above 127, values up to 127 are read as before..

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Peter Bolmhag wrote:

> hi!
>

> Iīve read the FAQ and the mailinglist archive and I see that many people
> have had trubble with the texfmt. I too have a seroius problem. I get a
> line break after every Swedish ascii token, (in umlaut they are: &auml;
> &aring; &ouml; ). Iīve seen many fixes and patches and stuff but nothing on
> someone really getting this thing to work.
>

> Please, is there someone who has solved this and if so, why isnīt it
> included in the distribution???
>
> Hylafax is completely useless to me if canīt handle Swedish ascii.
>

> Peter

Good Luck!	And Peter, please report back any success stories with my
patches back to the list, for the benefit of the next guy. Thanks!

/ Leif Erlingsson  http://www.lege.com  +46 8 604-0995  FAX +46 8 605-2551
  pgp -kvc leif@lege.com  DB 47 2F B1 F8 6B E5 92  7A 97 5C C8 7E 62 CA 7C
  Stockholm, Sweden, Tellus, Milky Way, Gods Universe.

  Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to buy Microsoft products.