modem unavailable timeouts

I run hylafax 4.0 pl1 on a machine with only one modem which has to serve fax,
dialup and internet connectivity.  If I submit a page request to hfaxd with
the sendpage client while the modem is off hook for internet access or dialup
the page times out in five minutes.  I see a mention in the man pages for
number of attempts and time between attempts but all of these indicate that
they are based on the number of actual dials and connections.  In my case no
dial is made at all becasue the modem is unavailable.  I run faxgetty on the
line and if I run faxstat while the attempt is queued and the modem is
unavailable I get back the message indicating the hylafax is running and is
waiting for the modem to become available.

Q: Is there a way to increase the timeout in this situation?

TIA,
Chuck
|Chuck Mattern           | "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."|
|cmattern@mindspring.com | -Friedrich Nietzsche-                            |