Re: Opening Tiff files on Win95(ie dos) machines

> I'm attempting to set up a fax server for a small lan of 25 machines. My
> server is a linux box running kernel 2.00 (Slackware). The client
> machines are all Win95 machines which I am going to use Flexfax as the
> client program. I've intalled hylafax, upgraded to ghostscipt 4.03, and
> have everything working, except for the following problem:
>
> Problem:  Opening hylafax tiff files on the client machines: When
> sending received faxes to a Win95 client - (as tiff files), the dos tiff
> viewers return the error "Invalid Huffman Code" when trying to open the
> tiff. The "viewfax" program on the linux box is able to open and view
> the same file - so I know the file if not corrupted. Are the tiff files
> created by the hylafax/tiff progams compatable with the dos tiff format?
> Alternatively, is there a windows viewer for viewing hylafax faxes? Am I
> completely on the wrong track?

'Tiff' is a generic term and not all tiff programs are aware of all
the possible tags and encodings.

> I realize that one alternative is to convert the tiff files back to
> postscript - however, I would like to avoid doing that.

You can use 'tiffcp' on the linux side to change the encoding to
something your existing programs understand or (since you are all
Win95) you can download the Wang inaging program available from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/software/img_us.htm
that will register itself as your tiff program and seems to understand
the class-F format directly.

Les Mikesell
  les@mcs.com