Re: Help with USR Sportster 33.6 modem, RedHat Linux 4.1

At 02:15 24/03/97 EST, Nico Garcia wrote:
>[snip]
>I cannot access the modem *at all* with anything, such as kermit,
>HylaFAX, dip, or other utilities. Kermit will open the line on
>/dev/cua0 but I see no responses whatsoever. Under the Win95 system,
>it is COM2, but the *only* line that will even let me connect is
>/dev/cua0, not /dev/cua[123].
>[snip]

Just wonder if it's a IRQ conflict? The 'standard' PC configuration has
COM1/3 sharing IRQ 4 and COM2/4 sharing IRQ 3. This is a disaster and if
you want to run a mouse on com 1 and a modem on com 3 (for example), you
will need to find a vacant IRQ and
        reconfig your internal modem jumpers to use that
	tell Linux (using setserial) that this is the IRQ for that port.

While you're experimenting, perhaps a
        cat /proc/interrupts >> /var/log/messages
may help before and after the port setup in your rc.local script.

Once you get it going, this mailing list has recommended that the
DCE/DTE-Rate is set down to 19200bps on USR Sportster 33.6 modems....

Cheers,
Phil Watkinson (with acknowledgement to the redhat-ppp-list)
Boston, UK.