faxgetty - dial in data - Linux

I've seen (and posted myself) some messages about using mgetty as a data
call handling program. By now, no one socceded in doing it, and so I
thought I should lesser my expectations, and use another (simpler) getty,
e.g. the agetty, which (at least) is able to get its input and output from
stdin/stdout, like I think it should get started from faxgetty.

Nope: I'm not even able to receive data calls with this other getty...

Now, the question is simple: did someone succeed in using another getty
with HylaFAX on Linux? If so, I think his experience could be of some use
to at least one reader... Now comes the second question: I fear the
problem (on my system) comes from the initialization strings the modem
gets, since (at least) it did recognize both fax and data calls when
working under mgetty, even though I didn't configure it to spool fax data
in the right place, and it gave up AFTER syncronization. Now the modem
does only fax when I use faxgetty, and it doesn't try to sync to data
calls. I'm talking about a Rockwell 33.6 + 14.4 fax modem

Yours

lorenzo m catucci