Re: Using ghostscript 4.03 and HylaFAX

Hi.

Thanks to all who helped. If I had searched the mailing list archives
with 'textfmt' rather than 'ghostscript' I would have found all the
relevant correspondance; if I had raised the message a hour later I
would have seen Matthew Rice's answer to another question which would
have done just as well for me. Oh, well.

Just to complete the story, textfmt cannot use the ghostscript fonts
in their (dos compatible) 8.3 filename format. So I copied the .afm
files to an new directory ( /var/spool/fax/afm ) and changed their
names to the proper 'postscript' fontnames (with the aid of the FontMap)
Finally, I amended the AFMDIR path in the setup.cache file to point to
the new directory.

I note that there is an outstanding patch which looks fairly signficant
for textfmt ( Leif Erlingsson email of 13 Feb 97 ) waiting for the next
release, so perhaps this is a golden opportunity to add the capability
for textfmt to inspect the Fontmap ? Still, I suppose this would mean
another config parameter - AFMFONTMAP - and I suppose it depends on
whether the structure of the Fontmap file was standard in the UNIX
world...

Thanks again,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.