Re: Using ghostscript 4.03 and HylaFAX

> Problem is, when I did my first test fax (sendfax -n -d 723304 /etc/passwd)
> textfmt bombed out with
>         "No font metric information found for Courier-Bold"

Well it looks like I get to talk about the textfmt problem afterall :-)
Did anyone ever have this problem on a non-Linux system?

> I have even checked the ghostscript Fontmap is ensure that Courier-Bold is
> declared. [ While typing this, I have been stuck with the thought that
> perhaps HylaFAX cannot find the Fontmap - it is in /usr/share/ghostscript/
> 4.03/ directory (?)].

Actually, from tracing textfmt, I've found that it doesn't even look for
Fontmap.  The next update will probably be compiled to use /usr/share/...
as the AFMDIR because 3.33 uses it too.

> Anyone got any ideas what to try next ? Other than obtaining the sources
> and starting from scratch, that is.

Use strace(1) to watch the files that are being stat/open'ed.
Here's a snippet that others have used to solve this problem:
/********** BEGIN EXCERPT *****************/
I did a trace on textfmt here and it doesn't seem to be opening the
Fontmap file.  I get:

open("/usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/Courier.afm", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
fi
le or directory)
open("/usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/Courier", O_RDONLY) = 7

You could try putting a link from ncrb.gsf to Courier.

If you send me details about your solution, I would be more than
happy to add it to the INSTALL notes.

Regards,
--
Matthew Rice                             e-mail: matthew.rice@ftlsol.com