Re: Using ghostscript 4.03 and HylaFAX

Hi.

I am setting up HylaFAX 4.0pl1 on a Linux RedHat 4.0 system. I have used
Matthew Rice's excellent binary distribution in the 'rpm' package form.

I have installed Ghostscript 4.03 also from 'rpm' packages, namely :-
        libpng-0.89c-1.i386.rpm
        ghostscript-fonts-4.03-1.i386.rpm
        ghostscript-4.03-1.i386.rpm
which has placed the fonts in /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts.

Problem is, when I did my first test fax (sendfax -n -d 723304 /etc/passwd)
textfmt bombed out with
        "No font metric information found for Courier-Bold"

Q44 of the FAQ recommends amending the AFMDIR parameter of setup.cache and
then re-compiling the source. The mailing list archives has a note from
Matthew dated 18/1/97 implying that recompiling would probably not be
necessary. However, this hasn't worked in my case.

I have also tried adding a 'FontDir' parameter to /var/local/lib/fax/
hyla.conf; and have also tried a symbolic link; rebooting between attempts.
Permissions look okay; mode 755 on the directories and 644 on the files.

I have even checked the ghostscript Fontmap is ensure that Courier-Bold is
declared. [ While typing this, I have been stuck with the thought that
perhaps HylaFAX cannot find the Fontmap - it is in /usr/share/ghostscript/
4.03/ directory (?)].

Anyone got any ideas what to try next ? Other than obtaining the sources
and starting from scratch, that is.

Thanks,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.