Re: Problems with faxgetty and Linux

At 01:22 06/03/97 -0800, Kim C. Callis wrote:
>While this is not directly related to Hylafax, I am confident that someone,
>somewhere has run into the same problem. I am running hylafax-v4.0pl1 on a
>Linux box which is currently at 2.1.27 in a RedHat (SysV) type environment.
>
>I start faxq and hfaxd via my rc.local and initially I was also starting
>faxgetty as well. I noticed that whenever I would attempt to dial out with
>PPP, instead of the modem listening for a data tone, it would do a fax tone.
>So I would kill faxgetty, but unfortunately the modem would be set in a fax
>mode, thus causing me to reboot (since I don't know the AT command to get it
>back in data mode!).
>
>[ker-snip!]

I am in the process of upgrading my Linux to Redhat 4.0 and v4.0pl1, and
have ppp dialout while faxgetty is running. I have not had a problem with
this, and I certainly am *not* an expert in HylaFAX, but there are a couple
of things you may want to check :-

1. You have to specifically tell pppd to use a lock file ( something like
   /var/lock/LCK..cua1 ). Add the 'lock' option to /etc/ppp/options or, if
   you are using Redhat's netcfg, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-pppX.

2. I have amended my modem config ( /var/spool/fax/etc/config.cua1 ) to :-
        DeviceMode:             0660
   and
        # Leave idling in Class 1
        ModemSetupAACmd:        AT+FAA=0

Hopefully there's something here that will help.

Cheers,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.