Re: emacs interface

Mohsen Banan writes:

>   John> Glenn Burkhardt writes:
>   >> Don't you want a faxmail interface, and then use emacs to send mail to it?
>
>   John> Kind of. What about the fax number of someone that is not in ~/.faxdb,
>   John> or in /etc/aliases?
>
> Linking bbdb, auc-tex and flexfax would be nirvana!
>
> It is not going to be difficult to do.  It is just a matter of the
> relevant interests lining up and some free time. If we do something on
> that front (a bbdb add on ...), I'll post it to this list.
>
> In the meantime, if anybody else is thinking along the same lines and
> has started anything, please drop me a note.

Hi Mohsen. There has been some off line discussion, to avoid
cluttering up the bandwidth. Basically, what has been discussed is how
the user interface would be, ie., how do you get the subject, re, to,
number, etc., to sendfax from emacs. If all that is desired is to do
something like write a fax in emacs, a hack on sendmail.cf would do,
ie., you get a shopping list of things to fill in, and a ^--text
follows this line--$ sort of thing, like M-x mail.  This would be
trivial, (famous last words.) To do auc-tex, ...auctex/tex.el can be
modified to include a "fax" option in with the various prints, files,
etc., and other calls to dvips, etc., maybe with a menu for the fax
particulars. This does not look too hard, either. I already have a
fax.sty made that does the coversheet as a LaTeX style, does page
count, includes a postscript signature, etc., a la letter.sty, and in
principle, can have the re, number, to, etc., plumbed out of LaTeX,
and shuffled off as sendfax arguments. I think this will cover most of
what has been discussed, (maybe, maybe not ...  if I have forgotten
anything, maybe someone will speak up,) but bbdb is a curve ball. What
is it?

	John

--

John Conover, 631 Lamont Ct., Campbell, CA., 95008, USA.
VOX 408.370.2688, FAX 408.379.9602