NEED HELP: HYLAFAX CRAHES MY MACHINE

Hi there,

it's me again. I have already posted my problems, but as I did not
get any answer that helped me I will try it again and give you a
more detailed description of my problem:

I built hylafax-v4.0pl1 on a sun sparcstation4 under solaris 2.5.1
using gcc-v2.7.2. I had to put /usr/local/lib to the front of my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get configure running to the end. After building
the package I added the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (& export it) to
/etc/init.d/hylafax so that hfaxd & faxq get the right libtiff.
I also installed a little script that sets the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (and
and exports it) and then calls faxgetty. This script is added to
the inittab. I also added 'Use2D: no' to .../fax/etc/config.

I can't remember the exact manufacturer of the modem but the
identification check returns ROCKWELL and AC/V34. Probably it's
a Lightfax28800.
After these install-steps faxgetty,hfaxd and faxq were running.
'faxstat -s' and 'faxstat -v' also seemed to work (they produced
output as is shown in the HylaFAX docs).
But as I tried to send a fax the system core-dumped. Rebooting
was not possible, because /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/inittab
were screwed up.

I have also built the system in exactly the same way on an intel-pc
running solaris 2.5 (with gcc 2.7.1). The modem was also the same.
But here everything worked (including sending faxes)!!

The only remarkable difference between these two systems (despite
the fact that the one is a sparc-system and the other not) is that
we have NIS+ running on the sparc-machine.

I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I don't think that trying a binary
release will solve my problem and as I have already crashed two
systems I cannot just give it a try.

Any help would be great,
Soeren.