cu and such....

Hi gang!

Here I'am again ...

I'm not shure if this is the place to ask this question, but here we goes....

a) It is the first time that I set up a modem on my sparc 5 with solaris 2.5,
    which is attached to my B serial port.
   I'm not veryfamiliar with such a stuff, so I have some doubts ....
    When I cu -l cua/b most of the time my modem answers and then I can isue
    any AT commands to the modem and check if it is ready to answer to fax
   deamon.
   Some times the cu command says CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE. I've
   noticed  that this happens, when I turn off my modem and then I turn it on.
   When this happens, ( cu says CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE) I can cat a file to
   /dev/ttyb I can see the modem lights flashing.
   Why cu can't see cua/b and why cat a file directly to the device can see
   the device ?
   But what is very wierd do, is that just all of a suden the device start
   answering.
   Is there a special procedure to turn off my modem?
b) What is the best way to check if the fax deamon has access to the device ?
   When I run faxstat I can only see if the deamon is running.

Thanks again guys, and have a nice suny warmy day. :-)  see ya!