Re: misleading xferstats

Andreas Eulitz wrote:

    My configuration is (though it doesn't matter in this case):
    	- HylaFAX v4.0pl0 on a Linux PC (Kernel v1.2.13, CND distr., gcc 2.7.0)
    	- Creatix LC144 modem
    	- client access from Windows PC's via WinFlex 0.4 beta

    The WinFlex client allows the specification of
    	- an user account on the fax host (user@faxhost) and, additionally
    	- an e-mail address to send notes to if a fax job fails
    	  (faxadmin@otherhost).

    Why does "faxstat -s" say the fax is owned by user@faxhost (perfectly ok in
    my opinion), whereas xferstats (etc/xferlog, that is) says, it was sent by
    faxadmin@otherhost (less ok in my opinion)?

    As I don't have no mail access from the Windows PC's (sigh), I can't set the
    e-mail address to user@faxhost too, nobody would notice if something goes
    wrong. On the other hand, when it comes to accounting, e.g. who has to pay
    which share of the telefon bill, one has to use xferstats, which in turn
    blames it all on faxadmin@otherhost (Oh poor me!).

    Any idea how to work around this?

I checked the source (v4.0pl1) and the logic is that faxd/faxSendApp.c++
sets the "mailaddr" of the job (see sendq(4F)) into FaxAcctInfo.user
which is later used to create the entry for the xferlog(4F);

from the point of view of accounting a combination of the "client"
and "owner" of sendq(4F) would be better; actually I can't answer
the question why "mailaddr" is used (perhaps one should expand
the FaxAcctInfo and xferlog(4F) for that -> TODO?);

there is no workaround without changing the code;

	matthias