Re: [hylafax-users] Transmission problems: info and questions

Ross Boylan wrote:

Unfortunately, I only have the one modem. I've been holding off
asking for advice til the other system is setup enough to be ready for
faxing (and I've checked the archives/faqs etc). But, if you have
any quick suggestions... This is for light home use; my main goal is
to avoid the kinds of problems I'm having now!

Try to upgrade the firmware in your USR first. Someone recently said that it was the miracle cure for their woes. (That said, I don't believe much in miracle cures.)

My modem recommendations are as complicated as always. :-)

In as few words as possible: anything except for USR

In a few more words: either a MainPine or MultiTech 5634 modem would be ideal... but if you don't care about SuperG3/V.34-Fax and if you don't care about manufacturer support then the options are a bit more varied. Your biggest constraint is that it be internal (thus probably only PCI), and there are a limited number of non-linmodem PCI modems (3Com-chipsetted, Agere-chipsetted, or Topic-chipsetted) - and the only one of those that is worth using is are the Agere-chipsetted ones. MainPine, MultiTech, and Zoom have all used these chipsets. In the linmodem world I've used (or tried to use) just about all kinds, I think. I had good success with a PCtel linmodem for a long time until the fax line was consolidated away from that system. I've used Lucent linmodems, too, and they worked great. I've also tried, to a much lesser extent, Linuxant linmodems, but some recent reports we've seen here are discouraging with regards to Linuxant HSF/HCF linmodems. There is a Cirrus Logic/Ambient/Intel linmodem out there, but the last time I tried it didn't support Linux kernel v2.6... these modems probably will work better run from Asterisk/zaptel/iaxmodem (strange as that is), anyway, for your fax needs.

For testing purposes I've always found it very easy to take an external modem, plug it in, and see how things go. You can probably find a Class 1-supporting Rockwell/Conexant-based external modem for cheap on eBay or in a nearby computer equipment recycler or second-hand store. Of course the vendor probably won't be able to tell you the chipset or what fax classes it supports, but some research should get you there.

Do the problems receiving point in any particular direction?

No, but it seems to further confirm that the problems are not a fluke.

Lee.