Re: [hylafax-users] Half a cover page

Am 2005.10.29 00:39 schrieb(en) Jaap Winius:

This all works fine, except that the 'message body', by which I mean the contents of the email message being sent via Hylafax, does not begin half way down the page as I would like, but always on the following page.

Quoting Bodo Meissner <bodo@xxxxxxxxx>:

> How do you submit your fax jobs and what do you mean with "message
> body"?

Always with an email gateway using Exim v4.50. With "message body" I
meant the contents of those emails, as well as the message headers
that are associated with them. Perhaps this is not the same as the
'comments' for the cover page?

Hello Jaap,

as I already wrote:

> I don't think Hylafax itself has a mechanism to continue the
> comments on a second page if it doesn't fit on the cover page.
> Your message will either be printed as comments on the cover
> page (and truncated if it does not fit) or as your real document
> following the cover page.

I think it would be possible to create a program that does what you want but it doesn't work with the default Hylafax and mail-to-fax stuff.

But you probably will have to make it yourself (or find someone who can do it for you)

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about PostScript to make the
modifications to the default Debian cover page that I would like. It
sure would be nice to know how they made it and be able to use the
same applications to modify it myself.

I think the application they used to create the cover page was a text editor. The cover page document looks like hand-written PostScript.
(PostScript is a programming language similar to forth with special operators to draw an image or write text.)

Actually, I'm now thinking that my earlier remarks concerning the
default Debian cover page were not entirely accurate. My statement was based on a previous experience that I had about a year ago when I
received a fax with a Debian cover page on an old fax machine that
uses a roll of thermal paper.
[...]
The entire fax, message and all, is a little less than the length of an A4. This is not a result that I could ever duplicate with one of my custom cover pages.

You could ask the sender how he sent this document.
I guess he created a job without "real" document and wrote all his message as comments on the cover page.

Bodo