Re: [hylafax-users] Blocked by concurrent call problem since upgrade to 4.2.2

Jordan Kojouharov wrote:

as far as I am aware the default value of MaxBatchJobs is '1'?

The default value of MaxBatchJobs is not 1.

Can someone please shed some light on the batch send feature - how does it work and what are the benefits of using it?

The original idea behind batching was to enable busy servers with a restricted set of outbound modems, with a large volume of non-bulk faxes to repeated destinations, and where those destinations were frequently busy to be able to deliver everything in the queue to that destination in one call... all of this in an effort to enable more timely delivery of sent faxes and to avoid running into killtime trouble in those situations. This was a fairly limited intent, and I think that, for the most part, batching as found in 4.2.0 accomplished this.

Since that time demands have been placed on the batching feature to coordinate batches, to improve on faxq CPU usage, and several other things including some more recent features (like keeping batches together after encountering busy signals) that have been added since 4.2.2.

It sounds like for the most part batching is being knowingly used to save on long-distance toll charges.

You can search the archives for other posts on batching that I have made, but it's *supposed* to work in this fashion: if, when faxq allocates a modem to a job, faxq finds other jobs to the same destination also in the queues, then it will add those jobs to the current job in a "batch".

Lee.