Re: [hylafax-users] webbased solution

On Thursday 06 October 2005 15:40, dado wrote:
> hi!
> I use hylafax-4.2.1-1fc3 on Fedora Core3...
> I'm searching a tool or a suite to send/receive fax, and to store and query
> the in/out fax by web
> I found only a commercial solution, does anybody know alternatives
> product..
>
> thank's a lot

Using Apache and ImageMagick  {which are both on your distro CDs} and perl
{which is already installed in every known Linux distro}  you can easily
create a tool to do the job.

Apache gives you a web-based interface.  ImageMagick will handle the
conversion of images between almost any known format and any other.  In most
programming languages there is no need for a complex API: you can just do it
all through the command line.  You don't strictly have to use perl, any
programming language will do:  PHP, Python, Ruby, whatever you're most
familiar with.  Even C or C++.

If you want to keep track of faxes sent and received, think to add a database
server.  MySQL probably is good enough for this application; it's really no
more unreliable than the telephone system through which your faxes are going
to be sent, but use PostgreSQL if you are paranoid.

--
AJS