[hylafax-users] Sudden page size change

Running 4.2.2 (release) on Fedora Linux.

Stange thing happened yesterday. Beginning at 9:20 in
the morning (well into the workday, many faxes already
received) faxes started coming out of the printer (I
have a modified faxrcvd that autoprints) on tabloid
(11"x17") paper rather than std. letter size.
I confirmed that no one had fooled with the printer
settings and there was plenty of 8.5"x11" stock in the
tray.
It appears to have started with one particular
supplier's faxes. The only difference I spotted was
the tagline was visible on the fax when it printed on
tabloid, but not visible (looking at older faxes) on
letter sized stock.
Around noon it stopped <shrug>.
Three things then:
1) Could the tagline, which appears to be outside the
printable area of letter-sized paper, have forced the
printer to choose larger stock (tabloid being the only
other choice on this printer)?
2) Why hasn't it happened before? We receive,
literaly, dozens of faxes a week from this business?
3) Regarding the tagline; can I force the image, which
I filter through tiff2pdf in my script, to scale down
enough to include the tagline in the printable area?

TIA,
 Laker