Re: [hylafax-users] Debugging PDF conversion?

* HaraldFinn?s <spamcatcher@xxxxxxxxxx> [050914 14:19]:

> /usr/bin/faxmail | /usr/bin/sendfax \
>         -n -f "$SENDER" \
>         -d "$EXT2@`/usr/bin/expr \"$HOST\" : '\(.*\)\.fax$'`"
>
> If I understand this correctly, faxmail will remove most mail headers from
> the message (keeping from, to, subject etc.) and convert all mime
> attachments. The output from faxmail will then be processed by sendfax
> which will convert the text and pdf file to postscript. From what I've
> been able to figure out, a pdf conversion filter is builtin with Hylafax
> 4.2 versions unless some other filter is specified in typerules.

No.  faxmail will convert "everything" to one big postscript document
and submit it to sendfax.  sendfax is not given any "files" as
arguments, so it reads a single file from stdin.

Have you tried capturing the output faxmail and seeing what postscript
it's generating?

i.e. something like:

strace -s 512 -o /tmp/faxmail-$$.strace			\
	/usr/sbin/faxmail 2>/tmp/faxmail-$$.stderr	\
	| tee /tmp/faxmail-$$.stdout			\
	| /usr/bin/sendfax [...]

Will give you the postscript output submitted to sendfax in
/tmp/faxmail-$$.stdout, any errors/message printed by faxmail  in
/tmp/faxmail-$$.stderr, and a complete strace (if you think your
MIMEConverters aren't working right) in /tmp/faxmail-$$.strace

The best place to start would probably be running it all by
hand:
	cat mail.msg | faxmail > mail.ps
	[look at mail.ps]
	cat mail.ps | sendfax ...

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 438-4638 x8103